Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Hamburger Cupcakes a winner!

These are the most fun little cakes imaginable for a party!  My son had his party on a separate day from his birthday and we went to a water park to celebrate.  He had requested a dragon cake this year (I'll post that later), but I didn't want to take something like that on an outing.  Looking around, I came across the idea of hamburger cupcakes.  Perfect!  My son loved the idea and they were so easy to make and pack up!

I've seen pictures of hamburger cakes (full size cakes), but really liked the idea of individual hamburgers for the kids.  They liked it too.

As I said, these are very easy to make.  You will need:
*  1 13x9 inch yellow cake (from a mix or from scratch - I always do mine from scratch).  Pour the batter into greased muffin cups (no paper holders) and bake.
*  1 13x 9 inch batch of brownies (the fudge-y kind)
*  1 batch of buttercream frosting, tinted red and green
*  Marzipan tinted yellow


1.  When everything is ready, cut the brownie into circles with a cookie cutter (or top of a glass or jar).

2.  Cut the yellow cupcakes horizontally in half.

3.  Place the round brownie between the two halves of the cupcake.

4.  Pipe green frosting around the bottom to look like frilly lettuce.

5.  Pipe red frosting around the top for the ketchup.

6.  On some of the "burgers" place a square of yellow marzipan for your cheeseburger cakes.  (You can use fondant if you have that on hand.  I have not worked much with it, and it takes awhile to make, but I do have ready access to blocks of marzipan, and it kneads and shapes really well.)  You can always purchase some from Amazon if you don't know where else to get it.

7.  Press sesame seeds onto the tops of the "buns."


Voila!  Tasty, realistic looking hamburger, or cheeseburger cupcakes!  Try them on your next picnic.

No comments:

Post a Comment